Saturday, January 23, 2010

Florida Kumquat Festival Results



We had a really good time at this competition today! This was the first time I have competed here in a few years and their new sponsor, Pasco Regional Medical Center, did a really good job! I was a little disappointed that the rules, which were online prior to the contest, did not mention that you were allowed to "set up" your dish for the judges. You could use special plates, decorations, etc. in order to present your entry to the judges. Because I didn't know that, I think I may have lost some points for presentation, BUT I know for next year and I'm already looking for kumquat themed props on ebay. I'll blow the judges away next year! After the contest, we drove over to St. Joseph Parish and visited the Kumquat groves which had a wonderful little gift shop. I stocked up on lots of yummy kumquat products and a big bag of freshly picked kumquats. The trees in the groves were gorgeous. It's such a shame that so many were lost in the recent freeze, but the trees were loaded!

Here's the results from the competition:

Roasted Pork Tenderloin with kumquat- Jalapeno Marmalade - FIRST PLACE MEDAL

Florida Kumquat Salsa - Second Place Medal

Tropical Kumquat Breakfast Bread - Did not place

The Roasted Pork Tenderloin was INCREDIBLE. Sara and Brian really liked it when we sampled it as I was finishing it up and it got great compliments from the judges and other competitors. The salsa was great too. Brian really liked it, which makes me grin, cause he can be a picky eater. I can't wait to share these recipes with you here on the blog and I will as soon as I am sure I'm not entering them in another competition this year.

No comments: