Thursday, September 15, 2011
I am a huge fan or orzo, the little rice-shaped pasta. So, when I saw this fabulous, healthy recipe, I knew it was a keeper. I think this may end up on my Thanksgiving table as a new side dish.
8 ounces carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
3 tablespoons butter
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cups uncooked orzo pasta
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
Garnish: carrot curls
1. Process carrots in a food processor 15 seconds or until finely chopped.
2. Combine 2 1/2 cups water and broth in a microwave-safe measuring cup. Microwave at HIGH 5 minutes or until very hot.
3. Meanwhile, melt butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add carrots and onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until tender. Add orzo and garlic, and cook 1 minute.
4. Slowly stir hot broth mixture, salt, and pepper into orzo mixture. Cook, stirring often, 15 to 18 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
5. Stir in Parmesan cheese, chives, and thyme until blended. Serve orzo immediately. Garnish, if desired.