Saturday, September 24, 2011
A Discussion About Brie
Is the white coating on brie edible, or does it need to be removed?
Yes, the rind is edible. The molds and bacteria used in making cheese are applied to Brie's surface. Then, in the process that takes 3-4 weeks, Brie matures from the outside in, meaning the interior of the cheese softens while the molds form Brie's signature white rind. Historically, the rind has been considered the most flavorful part, but since all Brie made in the United States uses pasteurized milk, the rinds are often quite bland. If you like the flavor of the rind, feel free to indulge.
Have a culinary question? Feel free to submit it to ThymeSquareHerbFarm@Gmail.com