Saturday, November 26, 2011

Sweet Potato Casserole


Sweet potato casserole was never a tradition in my family while I was growing up, but since I love sweet potatoes so much, I decided this year that I was going to tackle it and I found this recipe which was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. I had picked up a bottle of Vietnamese Cinnamon from Penzey spices (www.penzeys.com) and it was the ingredient that put it over the edge. I will never purchase another brand of cinnamon. This is the cadillac of spices. I plan to purchase bottles for my guests who couldn't get enough of it. I can't wait to sprinkle it on eggnog for Christmas.
Ok, I'm a sweet potato casserole convert. Maybe next year I will try green bean casserole!

Old- Fashioned Sweet Potato Casserole

Ingredients

4 pounds sweet potatoes (about 5 large), peeled and cubed
1 cup milk ( iused half and half)
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
6 tablespoons butter, softened
1 egg, lightly beaten
1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1-1/2 teaspoons Spice Islands® pure vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
18 large marshmallows ( I used small marshmallows)

Directions

Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until tender; drain.
Transfer to a large bowl and mash. Add the milk, brown sugar, butter, egg, cinnamon, vanilla, allspice, salt and nutmeg; beat until smooth.
Transfer to a greased shallow 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until heated through. Top with marshmallows. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or just until marshmallows begin to puff and brown. Yield: 10 servings.

For a crunchy topping: Omit marshmallows and reduce brown sugar in sweet potato mixture to 1/4 cup. Before baking, combine 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, 3/4 cup packed brown sugar, 3/4 cup chopped pecans and 1/2 cup melted butter in a small bowl. Sprinkle over the mashed sweet potatoes. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 50-55 minutes or until heated through and topping is browned.


Recipe and picture are the property of Taste Of Home Magazine

No comments: