Saturday, February 13, 2010

Florida State Fair Adult Baking Competition Results Are In!




It has been a crazy couple of days! Today, February 13, was the Florida State Fair Adult and Youth Baking Competition. I have literally been baking non-stop for two full days. After arriving at the Florida State Fair and waiting about 45 minutes in line for my turn-ins, a mess-up with the volunteer, ended up mis-labeling a couple of my entries and I'm sure they weren't judged. After all that excitement, we had until 5:00pm to wander the fair. We petted the goats and sheep, ATE, visited all the Expo booths,enjoyed Cracker Country, and ate until we couldn't eat anymore. We had everything from smoked turkey legs, deep fried pickle spears, funnel cake, jambalaya, so many things I can't even remember them all. For some strange reason, I had a major stomach ache when it was finally time for the awards ceremony. BUT the results are in:

Chipotle Mexican Cornbread - Third Place
Chocolate Zucchini Bread - Did Not Place
Orange Coconut Pound Cake - Did Not Place
Chocolate Peppermint Bar Cookies - Did Not Place (this is one that was mislabeled & probably not judged)
Chocolate Dipped Macaroons - Did Not Place
Chocolate Scotcheroos - First Place
Easy Cream Cheese Fudge - Did Not Place (this is one that was mislabeled & probably not judged)
Cherry Rum Balls - Second Place
Sugar-Free Vegan Carrot Cake - Second Place
Cotton Candy Cookies - Did Not Place (I didn't like them either...lol)
Angel Food Cake - Second Place
Pineapple Coconut Upside Down Cake- Third Place (I demand a recount!)
Cherry Thumbprint Cookies - Did Not Place
Kentucky Biscuits - Third Place
Peanut Brittle - FIRST PLACE - THIS ALSO TOOK BEST OF SHOW (GRAND CHAMPION) FOR CANDY. I'm really proud of this one. Candy is a very competitive division and there are lots of good candy makers who compete.

So that's a total of 9 ribbons for the day. Not a bad day.

After this baking marathon, I never want to see sugar or flour again, so I'm happy that I get to switch gears this week and get ready for my first chili cook-off next Saturday. I'm really looking forward to it and it will be a nice change of pace!

Tomorrow, it's back to the Florida State Fair for the Lindsay Olive Salad Competition. I think i've got a pretty good contender with my Greek Style Shrimp and Pasta Salad. I just finished it and it's ready to go (11:00pm!)Now I'm ready to hit the sack! Sweet Dreams to everyone! I'll let you know how it turns out tomorrow!

No comments: