Thursday, May 12, 2011
Classic Carrot Layer Cake
What better way to get your daily servings of vegetables than in a moist slice of carrot cake? no? Ok, I tried, but this recipe is definitely a keeper.
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
* 1 teaspoon baking soda
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 2 teaspoons cinnamon
* 1/2 teaspoon allspice
* 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
* 1 1/2 cups sugar
* 3/4 cup canola oil
* 1/2 cup buttermilk
* 3 large eggs
* 3 cups shredded carrots
* 8 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
* 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, at room temperature
* 2/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 3 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
* Pinch of salt
* 1. Make cake: Preheat oven to 350ºF. Butter and flour 2 8-inch round cake pans. In a bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice and cloves. In another bowl, whisk sugar, oil, buttermilk and eggs. Pour oil mixture into flour mixture and stir just until evenly moistened. Fold in carrots.
* 2. Scrape batter into cake pans; smooth tops. Bake until cakes are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into center of a cake comes out clean, about 45 minutes. Let cakes cool in pans on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then invert cakes onto rack to cool completely.
* 3. Make frosting: In a bowl, with an electric mixer on high speed, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add brown sugar and vanilla and beat until sugar is completely dissolved. Add confectioners' sugar and salt and beat on low speed until smooth and spreadable.
* 4. Place one cake layer on a serving plate, spoon about 1 cup frosting into center, and spread with a knife or offset spatula. Place second layer on top and spread remaining frosting over top and sides.
Recipe/Picture are the property of All You magazine and can be found on their website at:http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/classic-carrot-layer-cake-10000002012851/